The Scottish Furniture Makers Association are delighted to announce an Open Call for our forthcoming members exhibition, celebrating the 20th Anniversary of the association’s founding.
In spring 2021, SFMA will present a new members exhibition in collaboration with Visual Arts Scotland at the prestigious City Arts Centre, showcasing work by makers and designers working in Scotland, responding to the theme ‘The New Normal’ (working title). It is an open submission for all current SFMA members, presenting an incredible opportunity to exhibit both new and existing work.
The theme ‘The New Normal’ is to address how domestic interiors are being reassessed and adapted in light of the pandemic, with working from home and generally spending much more time within our domestic and outdoor settings. Our homes and outdoor spaces are now working harder for occupants; as multigenerational sanctuaries, dormitories, nurseries, offices, classrooms, gyms, cinemas, restaurants, gardens, courtyards, parks and allotments. This theme will connect the work in a strong narrative and strengthen the final presentation of the show.
The show is a considerable opportunity to raise your profile and connect with buyers, collectors, customers and the wider creative community and the general public. There will be a significant PR and social media campaign running alongside the exhibition to promote and increase the prominence and visibility of SFMA and showcase our amazing members. Aiming to increase sales, future commissioning and grow the membership of the association.
Benefits will also include;
• Professional imagery to be included and highlighted in an online exhibition and publication
• Member highlights and interviews on SFMA social media and PR campaign
• Opportunity to be involved with a Meet the Maker event(s) or digital equivalent(s)
• Be invited to talk about your designs through the supporting events programme
How to apply;
We invite current and new SFMA members to submit work(s) and supporting materials for the exhibition to firstname.lastname@example.org deadline is Sunday 29th November at Midnight. This will guarantee your place in the exhibition, there is no selection. There is an entry fee of £200 per member. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com
• If existing work – an image/ or images (please include a description & dimensions)
• If new work – please include a description of what it will be / dimensions (sketches or proposals welcomed in whatever format you use)
• Current website address and social media handles (if applicable)
• A short paragraph about you and your practice
• A sentence answering how you see your submitted work responding to the theme
We welcome new or returning members to join the membership to enable participation in the exhibition. For further information about the benefits of membership and to join please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org